“Lifting weights” is the rock star of all work outs. I’m 57, I’ve been lifting regularly for 30 years. I’m quite passionate about it. Weight lifting has been an integral part of who I am. I work out with weights 3 times a week and do cardio twice. It’s not the only thing I do, but it’s up there with the most important things. (In case you want the order of importance: God, family, work, gym, social life.)
Back in the ’80’s, I did a lot of aerobics, yes, with leg warmers, and I’d lost some weight but had no muscle tone. I started working out weights and got immediate results.
I decided to enter a body building contest while I really didn’t know what I was doing. I hadn’t previously known squat (get it?) about nutrition! I read anything and everything I could find about weight lifting and nutrition.
I won my first contest and was hooked. I went on to win some state level contests and qualify for nationals. I sucked there. I was way too small compared to the other women. They really wanted to be big and when it came down to it, I liked the way I looked….not all big but small and firm.
But here’s the thing: weight lifting can change your shape, improve your life, keep you young! For what little effort and time is involved I think it’s just short of miraculous. My muscles hold me upright, they protect me, and keep me strong. No matter what your age, you should start lifting weights. Now!
Enough said! Here’s one of my standard workouts:
Legs, Chest, Shoulders, Abs, #3
First a tri-set, done four times.
- Hack squats, 10-15 repetitions (reps)
- Push-ups, 15 reps
- Stiff legged dead lifts, with a bar bell or using smith rack, 10-15 reps
Second, a giant set, that’s a set of four or more exercises, and do this cycle three times.
- Lunges with weight, either dumbbells or bar bell, 15 times each leg, alternating, You can also do walking lunges.
- Military press, bar bell or dumbbells.
- Dummys (this is pushing a punching dummy with your back against it) 50 steps pushing back
- Chest press on a flat bench with bar
Third giant set, 3 times.
- Jumping squat, lunge forward with right leg, jump squat, lunge forward with left leg, 16 total (yeah, 8 lunges on each side)
- Machine lateral lifts or dumbbell laterals, 10-12 reps
- Squats on a Bosu (or without if you don’t have one) with bar behind head, 10-12 reps
- Rear delt machine or rear delt laterals, 10-12 reps
Last is a super set for abs, completed 3 times.
- Alternate leg lift with weighted ball, 20 times
- Left to right twists, seated on floor with knees bent, with weighted ball, 20 times fast.
This is a total of 42 sets of exercises. It will take me for sure sixty minutes maybe sixty-five as long as there’s no talking. It’s important not to talk because working out in this way makes your heart rate elevate in intensity cycles. That’s another calorie burning trick. Besides…concentrate, get it done, and leave!